A new app to encourage people to continue supporting local businesses and show off the highlights of the area to potential visitors is to be launched in September in north Devon – and businesses will soon be contacted about being part of it.
The Dscvr (pronounced ‘discover’) app is to be launched by both North Devon and Torridge councils, seizing on the enthusiasm shown by residents to support local businesses during the pandemic.
The app showcases businesses, events and promotions in the area and is being rolled out in towns across the region for both locals and visitors. Both councils are asking local businesses to be aware they should expect to be contacted by the Dscvr team in the coming weeks with regards to featuring on the app for free.
If in any doubt that the contact is genuine, they can speak to their local council or have a look at council websites to check. The app will help businesses to promote their offer, and is expected to drive more footfall into the area. It will enable locals and visitors to make the most of everything the region has to offer, from town centres to walking trails, beaches to events.
The Dscvr app will have the following features:
* Local businesses can have their own page on the app to promote their business and highlight special offers, free of charge
* It helps people find places to eat and things to do Each town has its own area on the app meaning it can be tailored to each individual town in North Devon and Torridge
* It can identify people’s location so when they open the app, it will know where they are and will point them to the relevant town’s content but they will still be able to browse the other towns
* Local events and cultural and leisure facilities are highlighted and promoted for free
* It allows people to tailor their feed to what they want to hear about
* It will carry Covid safety messaging until it’s no longer needed
* It can send out push notifications if there’s a message that needs to be got out quickly like a major road closure for example
We know businesses are sometimes suspicious when they’re cold contacted, so we want to get the message out there that they should expect to hear from the team behind the app very soon.
The Dscvr app is available on both android and IOS devices. More information is available on North Devon Council’s website at www.northdevon. gov.uk. The Dscvr app is expected to launch in the early autumn.